Part 1: For the day job
Things to think about:
- TV’s Dead Zone: How the Cable Sector Is Killing Off Struggling Networks
- Platform companies are becoming more powerful – but what exactly do they want?
- Your TV Show Doesn’t Have To Be A Movie: In Defence Of The Episode (Again)
- A Court Will Decide if a GIF Can Be Considered a ‘Deadly Weapon’
- Will Hollywood Writers Go on Strike? The Tricky Economics of “Peak TV”
- How Netflix Wants to Rule the World: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at a Global TV Network
- Secretive Billionaire Reveals How He Toppled Apple in China
- How Spotify is finally gaining leverage over record labels
- Laughing All the Way to the Bank
- Escape to another world
- Is Facebook A Structural Threat To Free Society?
- Hollywood Bear: Why Media Analyst Is Gloomy About The Movies
- Fury Road: Did Uber Steal the Driverless Future From Google?
Part 2: For the lunch-break
Things to play with/watch/listen to:
- Recreating Bob’s best burgers
- Mean Bean
- Popping a Balloon in an Anechoic Chamber
- Auctioneers Rap Over Beats!
- Dumb Kids Manage To Collapse An Entire Building With A Single Brick
Things to look at/read:
- Why I left my liberal London tribe
- Meet the Companies Literally Dropping ‘Irish’ Pubs in Cities Across the World
- How 4Chan’s Worst Trolls Pulled Off the Heist of the Century
Tweets of the week:
- If you’re ever feeling down, just watch Mike Parry’s cinnamon challenge.
- the Unicode Consortium keeps roundly rejecting my polite and reasonable emoji feature suggestion :(((
- Never taken a short cut Danny?
- Spent my Sunday evening making an extended version of my Audrey Roberts Noise video because I’ll forever be single. hby?
- that’s enough twitter for today
- Longest arm ever.
Part 3: For the weekend
- Kellyanne’s Alternative Universe
- The Strange, Spectacular Con of Bobby Charles Thompson
- Are liberals on the wrong side of history?
- Domino’s atoned for its crimes against pizza and built a $9bn empire
- The blow-it-all-up billionaires