Part 1: For the day job
Things to think about:
- Traditional TV’s surprising staying power
- Why I miss old people in the Workplace
- The next big blue collar job is coding
- How the Mad Men lost the plot
- Snap’s Apple strategy
- Amazon’s Alexa isn’t the future of AI—it’s a glorified radio clock, and stupid otherwise
- ‘Data-Driven’ Campaigns Are Killing the Democratic Party
- Here’s What TfL Learned From Tracking Your Phone On the Tube
- The unlikely odds of making it big
- TV pilot season 2017: By the numbers
- All of 2016’s top mobile apps are owned by either Google or Facebook
- Behind the Scam: What Does It Take to Be a ‘Best-Selling Author’? $3 and 5 Minutes.
- How Facebook makes its money, in one chart
- Tubular Labs announce 2016 videoaces awards
- How The Economist turns social visitors into subscribers
- I Helped Create the Milo Trolling Playbook. You Should Stop Playing Right Into It.
- What You Could Learn from a True Pioneer in Digital, Social & Mobile Media
- Microsoft miracle: How Satya Nadella revived tech giant in just three years
Part 2: For the lunch-break
Things to play with/watch/listen to:
Things to look at/read:
- Your Favorite TV Shows Brought To Life With Amazing 3D Floor Plans
- I work from home
- The Simple Psychological Trick to Political Persuasion
- You Are Not Allowed to Be Funny
- 21 Wonderfully Stupid Life Hacks
- The long and troubled history of Apocalypse Now, the video game
- She’s with him
- How Ancient Legends Gave Birth to Modern Superheroes
- Experience: I accidentally bought a giant pig
- Grazing cows rush to listen to accordion music
- Watch pom-pom crabs fight over tiny anemones, which they hold like boxing gloves
- 19 Dog Memes That Will Warm Your Heart
Tweets of the week:
- The White House is running like a fine-tuned machine
- “Stone Cold” Steve Austin has stunned 46 percent of the people in this photo, including the president.
- a threat worse than isis
- We noticed that @realdonaldtrump’s tweets are basically the lyrics to an early 2000s emo song, so we turned them into one.
- This is the most Welsh thing I’ve ever seen, a forlorn asleep pissed Welshman with a half-eaten curry & chips on his back
- Bill’s fashion = Steven Seagal in the 80’s. Hillary’s fashion = Steven Seagal right now.
- Somebody thought it was a good idea to teach robots how to be exceptionally good with swords.
Part 3: For the weekend
- Cabi, a Brand You’ve Never Heard of, Makes $250 Million a Year
- Serial Killers Should Fear This Algorithm
- Total recall: the people who never forget
- Wrestling with Demons: The Story of Chyna’s Final Days