Part 1: For the day job
Things to think about:
- How to tell if you have a “fake news” problem in your newsroom
- What is economist.com for?
- A basketball lover’s journey from YouTube innovator to NBA video editor
- Vice Media Traffic Plummets, Underscoring Risky Web Strategy
- Why do older people love Facebook?
- Can a video game company tame toxic behaviour?
- Can audio go viral on Facebook? Here’s what happened when NPR ran an experiment for a month
- The 100 best infographics of the past decade
- Computer algorithms predict next characters to be eliminated in “Game of Thrones”
- Principles of Mobile App Design: Engage Users and Drive Conversions
- Twitter has outsized influence, but it doesn’t drive much traffic for most news orgs, a new report says
- Britain’s changing visions of the future
- Here are all the Facebook Messenger bots we know about so far
- Apple, Facebook, Google, and Alibaba take Hollywood
- The Minecraft generation
- Black Trauma Remixed For Your Clicks
- The Fight for the Future of NPR
- Inside the elite, super-secret world of L.A.’s coolest girls on Facebook
Part 2: For the lunch-break
Things to play with/watch/listen to:
- Could you outrun a fart?
- Meet the people behind the passwords
- Sweet, unsuspecting mother has totally normal reaction to Tesla’s Autopilot
- The Serial: From Dickens To Star Wars
- 100 years/100 shots
- Field of Vision – Speaking is Difficult
Things to look at/read:
- The name of the year awards
- Why These Sneakers Cost as Much as a Car
- Panama Papers show how the very rich use art to get richer
- The extinction of the fashion critic
- This Guy Is Pooping in the Nicest Toilets in London Before His Butt Is Sewn Shut
- Ducklings Enjoying Their Bath!
- Skipping Lorikeet: The Rain Dance Parrot
- Lexi wakes Dad up
- Welcome to the world, now jump off this 8ft car port!
- This Professor And His Adopted Pelican Had An Adorable Photo Shoot
Tweets of the week:
- The most remarkable conversation on Twitter since a football fan argued that if you’re 28 you’re 29
- The West Highland Free Press is not impressed by bling.
- The seat behind looks like it’s taking the seat in front hostage
Part 3: For the weekend
Longer pop culture articles:
- Ranking: Every Disney Song From Worst to Best
- The Silicon Valley Boys Aren’t Just Brilliant—They’re Part of a Comedy Revolution
- A maddening sound
- Lily Allen on being stalked: ‘I was asleep. He steamed into the bedroom and started screaming’
- How To Legally Own Another Person
- Social Media Transfer Scams and the Agents Void Created by FIFA
- How an internet mapping glitch turned a random Kansas farm into a digital hell