Part 1: For the day job
Things to think about:
- Is this the first Instagram masterpiece?
- What was the TV channel?
- ‘Shocking Celebrity Nip Slips’: Secrets I Learned Writing Clickbait Journalism
- When a Video-Game World Ends
- What People Were Saying About Facebook Before It Got Big
- How to use search like a pro: 10 tips and tricks for Google and beyond
- How BuzzFeed News Used Betting Data To Investigate Match-Fixing In Tennis
- Blikn-182 is officially more punk than Crass, according to Spotify study
- How Apple Is Giving Design A Bad Name
- The Death of the Artist—and the Birth of the Creative Entrepreneur vs The Artist Endures
- The resolution of the Bitcoin experiment
- How “Making a Murderer” goes wrong
Part 2: For the lunch-break
Things to play with/watch/listen to:
- This is what 8 million Instagram followers does to your notifications
- NYC Subway Timelapse – The Queens-bound 7 Line
- The State of the Union Address as a Wes Anderson film
- HISTORY OF IDEAS – Wabi-sabi
- A Brief History of Swearing in Movies
Things to look at/read:
- The Old People’s Guide to DJ Khaled
- How James Corden Got Adele to Do ‘Carpool Karaoke’
- 20 Great Ideas That Ended In The Worst Possible Way
- 22 Facts That Prove The World Is Stranger Than You Think
- Meet the Couple With 100 Grandkids and Counting
- 11 Animals Who Might Also Be Ninjas
- This Cat Has The Best Selfie Game You’ll Ever See
- This One-Eyed Cat Conquered His Fear Of The Ocean And Learned To Surf
Tweets of the week:
- Is this how Boomers think we talk
- I can’t believe you killed alan rickman
- The ultimate Bowie tribute has arrived, from New Zealand. Well done!
- My mate ordered a strong black coffee and I’ve never been so angry in all my life wtf even is this?
- To those of you who received a book from me as a Christmas present: just to let you know that they are due back at the library tomorrow
- I’m glad the 15yo has been outside in the snow but he’s definitely been playing too much Xbox.
Part 3: For the weekend
Longer pop culture articles:
- Every Pop-Culture Reference Kanye West Has Ever Made
- Now that’s what I call an oral history of Now That’s What I Call Music!
- I asked 8 researchers why the science of nutrition is so messy. Here’s what they said
- How Paul “Big Show” Wight kind of, sort of, almost — OK not really — became heavyweight boxing champion of the world
- The naked truth about locker room interviews