This email will be going on a brief vacation along with its writer – back for the 2015/40 edition
Part 1: For the day job
Things to think about:
- Questions are the new comments
- Spotify is getting unbelievably good at picking music — here’s an inside look at how
- The rise of the sadcom
- How my negative review of Legend was spun into movie marketing gold
- How This Netflix Product Manager Serves Up Just The Right Content For Your Next Binge Session
- No-one can make the perfect TV, not even Apple
- The most timeless songs of all time – Spotify analysis
- The 100 TV Dramas Everyone Should Watch
- 9 things I learned from doing mainstream data journalism
- Network TV’s Ultimate Survivor – interview with CBS’ Leslie Moonves
- Inside Popcorn Time – the world’s fastest growing piracy site
- The downfall of Kinect: Why Microsoft gave up on its most promising product
- Is Silicon Valley in Another Bubble . . . and What Could Burst It?
- We The T! Matter & Gender 2.0 are launching a month-long conversation about everything transgender.
Part 2: For the lunch-break
Things to play with/watch:
- President Bartlet Jacket Flips – Supercut
- Donald Trump Says “China”
- Sixty seconds of Going – Supercut
- Serious Seinfeld
- Top 10 Most Beautiful Movies of All Time
Things to look at/read:
- Football Manager – the world’s most influential video game
- TV and film icons brought into real life
- Mixed Troubles: Falling in Love With Nick Kyrgios and Genie Bouchard at the U.S. Open
- 10 Years On: What Are The Stars Of 2005 Indie Doing Now?
- An interactive guide to ambiguous grammar
- A Glossary of Common Menu Adjectives
- 27 Genuine Products That Are 100% Completely Legit
- Puppies Test The New Star Wars BB-8 Droid Toy
- He showed a gorilla photos of other gorillas on his phone. Watch the gorilla’s reaction
- Baby beluga whale photobombs Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy
- Annie & Paddington
Tweets of the week:
- Remember when the queen killed all those people?
- The #3 Most Read Article on @Slate right now is their 404 Error Page. Must sting for the author of #4.
- Doesn’t really seem like a suitable punishment!
- Incredible last tweet
Part 3: For the weekend
Longer pop culture articles:
- PC Comedy and Paul Revere
- The selling of the Krays: how two mediocre criminals created their own legend
- Life along the longest yard sale in the world
- The Prison Guard Who Couldn’t Escape Prison
- Passer. Dictator. Spy.
- Two ice cream vendors. Seventeen playgrounds. One city.