No edition next week, back for 2015/15
Part 1: For the day job
Things to think about:
- Facebook, Google, and the Economics of Time – time spent or time saved
- A wave of distributed content is coming — will publishers sink or swim?
- The changing – and unchanging – structure of TV
- The huge implications of Google’s idea to rank sites based on their accuracy
- When Celebrities tweet – Larry King has a certain method
- TV’s New Golden Age Is Doomed – it’s funded on old, current and new business models all in competition
- Instagram is the new everything – from selling to messaging
- How stories are told around the world
- The user is drunk – a new UX service
- The economics of podcasting
- Variety’s slanguage dictionary
- Analyse words – doesn’t work so well if you retweet a lot of stuff
- The emoji of Venmo: food, booze, partying, and, occasionally, rent
- Netflix god mode bookmarklet – for pc use
- The Touch-Screen Generation
- It’s a Fanmade World – From One Direction to Soderbergh: The Fan Culture Revolution.
- Meet Betabrand, the company that’s using viral humor and uncensored crowdsourcing to create the future of fashion
- The war over who Steve Jobs was
- Death – redesigned
- Design in Tech Report 2015 – Slideshare presentation
- SXSW 2015 Digital Trends Session – Slideshare presentation
Part 2: For the lunch-break
Things to play with/watch:
Things to look at/read:
- This Seattle Street Art Only Appears When It’s Raining
- The Sidewinding Circular Skates.
- Notes on the Hip-Hop Messiah
- List of bottling incidents by year
- 16 Photos That Prove Life Can Be Figured Out
- 23 GIFs That’ll Make You Question Your Entire Existence
- Fritz Learns to Catch Compilation #1
- Cat misses dog after being apart for 10 days
- The Internet Is Going Wild For This Adorable Therapy Dog With No Eyes
- This Fox Was Rescued As A Baby Cub And Now He Thinks He Is A Dog
- 33 Pictures Only Serial Killers And Replicants Won’t Find Cute
- 23 Times Golden Retrievers Failed So Hard But Were So Cute It Didn’t Matter
- A Definitive Ranking Of The Cutest Puppies
This week on Tumblr:
Tweets of the week:
- A Glaswegian responds to Tesco customer service.
- The Teletubbies are fucking terrifying in black and white.
- If Facebook had been ported to Teletext.
- Messi has killed normcore stone dead here
- When the Victoria Line opened in 1969, London Underground warned of the awful fate should you fall asleep.
Part 3: For the weekend
Longer pop culture articles:
- A SXSW Music 2015 Postmortem Report
- The Revolution Will Probably Wear Mom Jeans
- Diamonds Are Bullshit
- Roadies: Unlikely Survivors in the Music Business
- “I Might Have Some Sensitive Files”
- Nightmare in Sin City
- Gone in 30 Seconds: Motorcycle Thieves, Stunt Riders, and One Wild CHP Sting