There won’t be a 2014/51 edition next week, but there will be a 2014/52 edition before the Xmas break.
Part 1: For the day job
Things to think about:
- Why our memory fails us – which has implications for the quality of testimony in the Adnan Syed investigation
- Network TV Is Suffering Through a Great Sitcom Recession. Here’s How to Pull Out of It
- Why Do All These New Video Games Look So Old?
- Hate The Idea Of ‘Peter Pan Live’? NBC Is Counting On It – hate-watching as social TV event
- An experiment in forced nostalgia and questionable parenting
- Metrics should support a strategy, not be a strategy
- Here’s what happened when a news site only reported good news for a day
- Who tweeted it first?
- The Quartz chart of the year short-list
- What if Guys Were Social Networks – Creative Photo Shoot
- The Economist’s innovation prize
- How To Write A Marketing Trendpiece In 5 Winning Steps
- YouTube review of 2014
- The Bitcoin Boy: 16-Year-Old Erik Finman Is in His Silicon Valley Prime
- The rise of the professional cyber athlete
- 30 Really Bad Things In FilmBiz 2014
- The complete history of Reddit
- A-Z Culture Glossary of 2015 – Slideshare presentation
- 10 hot consumer trends of 2015 report – Slideshare presentation
Part 2: For the lunch-break
Things to play with/watch:
- Picard’s Make It So to the tune of Let it Snow
- Shot for shot, homemade version of Sia’s “Chandelier”
- Get Nick Offerman’s Solid Wood Emojis For Charity
- The Cicret Bracelet: Like a tablet…but on your skin.
- Wang Rong Rollin – Chick Chick – defies classification
Things to look at/read:
- The In Focus year in photos – Jan-Apr, May-Aug, Sep-Dec
- 29 Old People Rocking Highly Inappropriate T-Shirts
- Bros being basic – mocking Instagram photos from females
- 23 Insanely Delicious Food-On-Food Recipes
- The 35 Most Hipster Things That Happened In 2014
- The 23 Most Painfully Awkward Things That Happened In 2014
- Spending 10 years carving a giant cave
- 30 adorable animals who fail miserably at looking tough.
- Sophia Grows. A Rhodesian Ridgeback Time-lapse.
- The 31 Most Popular Animal Instagrams Of 2014
- Dog fetch fails
- 38 Dogs Who Won 2014 and 37 Cats Who Totally Won 2014
- German Shepherd dog sings with his owner
- Dean the basset
This week on Tumblr:
Tweets of the week:
- Happy Bishop of Southwark day! It’s the eighth anniversary of the greatest news story ever:
- Shout out to Alain for this smashing late entry into the year’s most annoying tweet award
- Meanwhile In Coventry
- “Hi, I’m Gamergate. Let me tell you why all this feminism stuff is nonsense. By the way, check out my mural!”
- Sorry kids, judging by this evidence, Christmas is CANCELLED
- Totally classic moment in mansplaining. via many people
- The Great Vanishing of Facial Hair (1842-1972) Have Hipsters and #SantaClaus reverted this trend?
Part 3: For the weekend
- Create a personalised santa video for a friend
- 51 Of The Most Beautiful Sentences In Literature
- Every Movie Poster that Saul Bass Ever Made
Longer pop culture articles:
- An oral history of Boogie Nights
- Confessions of a mortician
- Oath Keepers and the Age of Treason
- In conversation with Chris Rock
- Did Kevin From ‘Home Alone’ Grow Up to Be Jigsaw?