Part 1: For the day job
Things to think about:
- The quiet BI revolution
- BCG have revisited several of their classic theories, such as the Boston Box
- Can Reddit grow up?
- The Generation Raised on Touchscreens Will Forever Alter Tech Design
- The secret of Minecraft
- People, not data – designing experiences with audience empathy
- We experiment on human beings – OK Cupid responds to the Facebook experiment
- A brief history of “Whoa, if true”
- Reddit 101 –What is Reddit, really?
- Innovation celebration – the trends of 2014 to date
- 50 examples of awesome UX (link is a pdf)
- 7 Reasons GE Is The Most Strategic Brand In Social Media
- 30 Simple Tools For Data Visualization
- Is T.J. Maxx the best retail store in the land?
- How Do You Solve A Problem Like Marissa?
- Welcome to dataland – Disney’s magic bands
- The down and dirty history of TMZ
Part 2: For the lunch-break
Things to play with/watch:
- March of The Juggalos – ICP/Morgan Freeman mash-up
- Every instance of Samuel L. Jackson’s favourite word
- Top 10 Most Effective Editing Moments of All Time
- A pretty bad method of teaching maths
Things to look at/read:
- 23 People Who Are Having A Way Worse Summer Than You
- Classic album covers minus deceased band members
- Guy walks into a bar – a different take on the foot-long piano player joke
- Dog passes out from overwhelming joy – with 30m views, chances are you’ve already seen it
- List of cats – a Wikipedia page
- 23 Cats Who Are Channelling Beyonce
- Awkwardly sitting cats
- Slittens – cats with slot faces
This week on Tumblr:
Tweets of the week:
- Don’t confuse the sweating emoji 😥 with the crying one 😢, otherwise ‘RIP Grandma 😢’ becomes ‘RIP Grandma 😥’ & you look very suspicious.
- Still one of the most aesthetically pleasing tweets on this whole website.
- 1940s Comics Writers Didn’t Know Much About Muslims, Part 74.
Part 3: For the weekend
- Our 25 Favourite Unlocked New Yorker Articles – New Yorker’s archives are open for the summer
- Get drunk, not fat – calorific content for alcoholic drinks
Longer pop culture articles: