A bumper edition for the Easter break
Part 1: For the day job
Things to think about:
- Kids react to Walkmans – feeling old after watching that?
- Let’s Get Social – how not to market your industry, via the power of song
- Is flat design already passé?
- Is World Wrestling Entertainment helping to reinvent TV?
- What next for behavioural economics?
- So you think you’re smarter than a CIA agent? – the wisdom of the crowd
- From YouTube to Vice – 10 trends that are changing how we watch TV – a write-up of MIPTV
- The speech accent archive
- A concise compendium of Don Draper’s creative advice
- The truth about Google X – an exclusive look behind the secretive lab’s closed doors
- How politics makes us stupid – the more information partisans have, the more entrenched their opinion becomes
- Why futurologists are always wrong – and why we should be sceptical of techno-utopians
- Mattel’s 3-Year Quest To Make A Better Toy Gun
- How Japan Copied American Culture and Made it Better
- Did one Lady Gaga troll prove that the billboard chart is broken?
Part 2: For the lunch-break
Things to look at/read:
- So, What’s the Story Behind That Terrifying GIF of Emma Watson Turning into Sofia Vergara?
- 9 contestants who really couldn’t handle The Crystal Maze
- 22 Mesmerising GIFs That Show How Things Are Made
- Designing a missing poster for a cat (contains subtle humour)
- UPS vans are like Zoolander and rarely turn left
- Matching Game of Thrones TV episodes to book chapters
- The dark side of the covers – imagining the reverse of iconic album covers
Things to watch:
- The futility of existence – or “a drunk navigating a fence”
- Claycat’s version of The Raid (I’m now waiting for the sequel)
- Drone selfies – dronies, natch
- Amelymeloptical illusion – aka cool juggling
- Timelapse of a girl aging from 0 to 14
- Jackie Chan chopsticks portrait
- For the few that are still yet to see it, a rather good April fool on a teacher
- Calvin the junk mail dog
- French Bulldog puppy argues bedtime
- Elephant calf charging
- Squeaking sloths
- 17 Baby Elephants Learning How To Use Their Trunks
This week on Tumblr:
Tweets of the week:
- Oasis await the invention of the smartphone. pic.twitter.com/Qoern1TPx7
- This inverted Y-axis is brilliant! “Crap, this shows the exact opposite of what we want.” “Wait, EXACT opposite?” pic.twitter.com/QoCFbbwRW4
- This may be the best thing today. pic.twitter.com/AwPUSpv85J
- Thanks to Medium, my brain is starting to associate “giant image taking up the entire window above the post” with “crappy essay”.
- Inspirational Tweet: You’re going to die, do what you want.
- Man on tube made weird/ lovely puppet out of old Evening Standard. Then just sort of sat it on his knee. pic.twitter.com/5jFIKNR6C6
Part 3: For the weekend
- The new face of Heroin
- We Took A 2,428-Mile Road Trip Along The Mexico Border: Here’s What We Saw – NPR call this an app rather than an article
- The Offspring’s ‘Smash’: The Little Punk LP That Defeated the Majors
- Meet the bag man: How to buy college football players
- Millennials just don’t get it! How the Muppets created Generation X
- Heathers: An oral history